Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Copy Cat of Chili's Southwest Chicken Soup



The first time I experienced this soup was a few weeks ago when Charlot and I were having a Sunday shopping lunch date. Chili’s is near Sam’s and Charlot could eat her weight in chips and salsa so Chili’s was the perfect choice. I knew I didn’t want to blow all the good decisions I had made that week so I ordered soup and salad. I thought since this soup was marked as a healthy option it probably would be not so good. Was I wrong…hum Yes! It was chocked full of flavor and spice and just over all deliciousness. Plus it was really filling without being heavy.

I have been dreaming of this soup, I looked online for a Copy Cat recipe but couldn’t find this one. I could find ones for their chicken tortilla soup which were loaded with cheese and I am sure delish but I wanted this one. I knew I just had to give it a go.

This week has been the perfect time for soup, since today is the first day we have seen the sun in nearly a week. I will say for my first shot at it, this was some dang good soup!

Southwest Chicken Soup

2 boneless skinless chicken breasts

1 packet of chicken taco seasoning

1 onion (diced)

1 can diced tomatoes

2 tbsp tomato paste

1 can corn (drained) (I used our fresh frozen corn, use what you like)

1 can black beans (rinsed and drained)

1 can white hominy (rinsed and drained)

1 box vegetable stock

1 ½ cups water

2 TBSP cumin

¼ tsp red peper

1 tsp salt

Heat oven to 350. Place chicken breasts on a sheet pan and sprinkle with ½ of the taco seasoning. Bake for approximately 20-30 minutes. While chicken bakes sauté onion and corn in a large soup pot (I use my dutch oven). Once they get a little color to them add remaining ingredients including the other ½ half of the taco seasoning. Simmer until chicken is done. Dice up your chicken and add it to the pot. Simmer for at least another 15 minutes. Top with tortilla strips if you like!

3 comments:

  1. Thank you! I enjoyed their yummy soup again last night and thought I should find the copycat recipe. I'll give it a shot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Around how many people does this recipe serve??

    ReplyDelete
  3. If your in a rush, I just tossed everything in the pot from the get go and let it go. Still tasted great. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete