Tuesday, April 24, 2018

Zucchini Ravioli



First I want to say thank you so much for all your kind words last week in the passing of our dear friend and babysitter. They truly meant the world to me. Her life and love were so honored in her services this past weekend.

Today I bring you one of my newest obsessions!!! Zucchini used as noodles! I am not on the Keto diet and I am not eating low carb, I truly struggle trying to cut carbs from my life, it's a love I don't want to see leave my life.But I love zucchini and I love my thighs to jiggle less so I have been switching out my normal pasta for zucchini. I don't see this ending anytime soon. These ravioli did not disappoint at all actually this morning the hubs said those cheesy green things were awesome when I got home last night. Score one for the home team!

If you want to give this whole switch a try I have a few tips.
-Salt your zucchini before cooking and allow it to drain I do this over paper towels and blot it dry. The more moisture you can draw out of there the better allow them to set for 15-20 minutes.
-Invest in a sprializer (I don't know if that is a word) it cuts veggies into spirals. My kids find the noodles fun to eat this way.
-When using a vegetable peeler peel from the bottom it just works better.
Give these green noodles a try I think you'll be amazed how truly good they are!

ZUCCHINI RAVIOLI

2 cups whole milk ricotta
4 medium zucchini
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese (divided)
1 cup Mozzarella cheese (divided)
1 egg
1 tsp Garlic Powder
2 tsp dried basil
2 tsp dried parsley
1/2 tsp Red pepper flake
1 jar of your favorite tomato sauce (I am a big fan of the Aldi's marinara)
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper (to taste)

Preheat the oven to 375ºF. Lightly grease a 9x13-inch baking dish..
Line a medium bowl with paper towel and add ricotta. Set aside and allow to sit for 30 minutes.
Using a vegetable peeler, slice the zucchini lengthwise into thin strips, stopping when you reach the center. Discard the center or reserve for another use. Place strips on a paper towel, sprinkle lightly with salt and set aside.
Gently gather the papertowel around the ricotta and squeeze out any excess liquid.
In a medium bowl, add ricotta, 1/4 cup Parmesan, 1/4 cup mozzarella, egg, garlic powder, basil, parsley, red pepper. Season with salt and pepper and stir until fully combined. Set aside for 8-10 minutes.
Blot any excess moisture off of zucchini strips. On a work space, overlap 2 strips of zucchini and then overlap 2 additional strips on top of and across the first 2 strips, forming a cross shape.
Using a spoon or a cookie scoop, place a tablespoon of ricotta mixture into the center of the zucchini formation.
Fold the bottom layer of the zucchini strips over the filling and into the center so that they are overlapping. Fold in the other 2 strips to center so that filling is completely enclosed. Repeat process with remaining filling and zucchini.
In prepared baking dish, add a 1/2 cup of sauce, spread evenly. Place formed zucchini pockets seam-side down. Pour remaining tomato sauce over zucchini. Top with remaining Parmesan and Mozzarella. Transfer to oven and bake for 20-25 minutes or until zucchini is cooked through.

Be like me!!! Double the recipe! Prep one batch for the freezer and prep the other  the zucchini ravioli the day before cooking and store in an airtight container and thrown in the oven when you get home! I served mine with a grilled chicken breast. But you could completely switch things up and use a meat sauce over the ravioli or even eat it with no meat...but that wouldn't happen in my home! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment