Monday, October 22, 2018

15 Go to Ground Beef Meals for the Slow Cooker




Hey friends and I do say friends because you are and because friends give one another some grace especially when it comes to the frequency or infrequency (cough, cough) of their blogs. That's ok I know you all will forgive me especially after you read this post. It could possibly change your life, well probably not but hey you can't say I didn't try. 

What in the world prompted me to finally post a blog again, ha! Well dears it was you guys! I saw several people over the past few weeks asking on their Facebook what some favorite crock pot meals were, especially those with ground beef. I kept commenting and then others would ask for recipes and finally light bulb!!! I needed to do a blog post, hahaha! 

So I will admit I wasn't all that in love with slow cooker cooking for very many dishes outside of roast and soup because so many things ended up mushy, is that a word??? Then I discovered programmable slow cookers, HOLY MOLY!!! If you don't have one and you are serious about adding more crock pot meals to your life add one to your life, Christmas is coming. Yes I ask for kitchen appliances for holiday presents, don't judge me. Here is a link to one I love. The thing about these is that you can select the cooking time then the machine goes to keep warm once that cooking time is over. Say what!!! I know! 

Another problem I had is even with the programmable pot I still felt like many recipes were mushy, still is this a word? Most people who know me know I am a HUGE texture person (hence my aversion to coconut), this didn't bode well for most slow cooking. Then I read a recipe that suggested throwing raw pasta into the cooker...I was nervous but man alive did it help! Most of the recipes I have included have instructions on what to do with the rice or pasta. 

Lastly it drove me crazy to read this delicious recipe that then required me to break out a skillet to cook the meat up ahead of time. Listen lady I really want to make this but for real I am putting this together before 6 am, remembering that I need to brown the meat then drain it is wayyy too much for that time of the morning. This all changed one day when I bought twenty plus pounds of ground beef in the store because it was a good deal, I roll like that. The thing was even though it was a good deal it still was a chunk of change, I was determined to not let this precious meat go to waste in my freezer. I went home and chopped up like 10 onions and began browning hamburger with some onions and salt and pepper. I drained it and cooled it then placed it in quart freezer bags. At this point was thought it would be ready for me to use for tacos, spaghetti sauce, soups whatever I was making for supper that night...then one fateful morning before 6 am I was mad because I forgot to get burger browned for a crock pot recipe I wanted to make. The heavens seemed to open and my deep freezer called my name reminding me of all that glorious burger meat that was pre-browned and waiting for me. 
Obviously a life changing day. HA! But seriously it does make life easier and I save a ton of money when I buy ground beef and can buy it on sale. 
Yes you read that, I am married to a man who raises not only hogs but cattle too and I buy meat but that is another story for another day! 

Below are some of my favorite recipes with links for both pre-cooked burger and using raw burger. If you have any questions please feel free to check in with me. 

 One last question...Do you guys actually enjoy my rambles??? Should the blog continue???

Using Pre-Cooked Burger 

Asian Lettuce Wraps- Below! (I just mix all ingredient in the crock pot and cook all day) 
Stuffed Pepper Skillet-Recipe Link (follow the directions except omit the rice until you get home, then stir in the rice and cook for 30-45 minutes)
Taco Lasagna- Recipe Link
Nacho Soup-Recipe Link
French Onion Beefy Noodles- Recipe Link
Pizza Pasta- Recipe Link (I do not pre-make this, I throw all in ingredients, minus the cheese and pasta and let it cook all day on low, then stir in pasta and let it cook for 30 more minutes, top with cheese.)
Tater Tot Casserole- Recipe Link
Shepard's Pie- Recipe Link
Cheeseburger Soup- Recipe Link (I skip the whole making a thickner in the skillet step and I put my hamburger in first thing in the morning.)
Stroganoff- Recipe Link
Pasta Fagiola- Recipe Link
Cheesy Tortellini- Recipe Link

Using Raw Burger
Mozzarella Stuffed Meatball Subs- Recipe Link (I just place a little cheese in the center of each Meatball as I am rolling them up and also add about 1 cup of water to the sauce)
Barbecue Meatballs- Recipe Link (I take these to the just past the browning step and use the crock pot to cook them in the sauce. 6 hours on low)
Stuffed Cabbage Rolls- Recipe Link (I omit the Rosemary because well I'm not a fan)


Copy Cat PF Chang Lettuce Wraps
Makes 6-8 servings
Ingredients
1 TBSP Olive Oil
1 lb Ground Beef
1 Onion diced
2 Cloves Garlic minced
¼ cup Hoisin Sauce
2 TBSP Soy Sauce
1 TBSP Rice Wine Vinegar
1 TSP Ginger
1 TBSP Asian Chili Paste (or Sriracha) 
1 TSP Teriyaki Sauce
1 TSP Sesame Oil
1 (8 oz) Can Water Chestnuts drained and diced
2 Green Onion Thinly Sliced
Salt and Pepper to taste

1 Head Lettuce (Butter, Ice Berg, Romaine)

Heat olive oil in a skillet. Add in beef, onion, and garlic cook until meat is browned. Make sure to break up the meat as you cook it. Drain off any excess fat.

In a small bowl mix Hoisin, Soy, Rice Wine Vinegar, Ginger, Chili Pasta, Teriyaki, and Sesame Oil. Return meat mixture to the skillet and add in the water chestnuts heat on medium. Pour sauce over the mixture and stir to combine, cook until heated through and sauce has reduced a bit. Add in green onion.

This mixture can now be served in lettuce cups or froze. To freeze allow mixture to cool slightly. Place in a gallon freezer bag.

Serving Day-
Thaw bag in fridge or a warm water bath (if your forgetful like me). Pour mixture into a skillet to warm through. Serve with lettuce. 

No comments:

Post a Comment