Tuesday, October 23, 2018

Royal Recap and Retirement


If you guys are friends of mine on the Instagram and Facebook you probably saw most of these pictures but the blog does have pigs in the title I'm thinking it's ok to share as many pig pictures as I'd like. Wait it's my blog! I'll do what I want, hahahaha.

Last Friday a dream came true for me! Oh my good gosh of gravy did it! It all started not with that little girl with perfect on point pink bow nope it started many and I mean many years ago when I found this (below) picture.

That beautiful, lady right there is my grandma. And that picture is from 1947 when she took her horned Hereford steer butch and showed him at the American Royal. I found this picture or she gave this picture to me long ago and I always thought how awesome it would be to show at the Royal just like she did. Well I never got that chance, timing, age of pigs, school several things stopped me. But the dream remained.

When Charlot started showing at the ripe old age of 2 I hoped and prayed she'd fall in love with it. Ladies and gents she has. After the state fair was over this year when the hubs asked her if she possibly wanted to enter a pig in the Royal she exclaimed with sheer excitement YES! In that very moment I could see this dream I had coming true, I never actually told anyone because that's just kind of how I roll.

As we walked up to the building on Friday morning show day I could tell Charlot was super nervous. This was her first national show, a big step outside her comfort zone. I asked to go stand in front of that cattle mural in front of the building for a quick picture, she obliged but still was hesitant. She kept saying her belly was rumbling, I know the feeling it is the same one I get each time I watch her walk into the show ring.

A quick hello to a few friends as we walked in and she saw so many pigs the nerves nearly made her walk right back out. All was cured shortly as soon as she found Ariel, that girl and Charlot have quite a bond that has been going strong since the day Ariel stepped on to our farm. The day at the Royal the bond seemed no different, Ariel walked with ease and followed each tap of Charlot's stick like a champ. 


The few minutes of the day that were spent in the show ring provided all of us with memories to last a lifetime. Little girl, cute pig and beyond proud family I'd say my dream for sure came true. 

 And having my grandma there to witness it all 71 years later couldn't have made the day any more complete. Can we just stop for a second and say how incredible my grandma looks she doesn't look nearly old enough to be the great grandma of 14 great grandchildren!!!

Now that this years show season is over and Ariel is "retired" and headed to the farrowing barn, oh man her babies will be cute, I see how much Charlot has grown in the show ring. She walks in with confidence, and grace like no other. Sweet Charlot as long as you love this your daddy-o and I will be right there with you me coaching like a crazy lady (I'm working on that) from the side and your dad being your sparkly water bottle carrier. 



Let's just keep the sas in check little one...I have no idea where she gets it from!


No comments:

Post a Comment