Friday, October 26, 2018

Restaurant Review- The Ox Cafe and Bakery



 Last week while we were at the Royal, we took the opportunity to try out a newish (really new to us) place in the West Bottoms of KC. And by we I mean the hubs said on show day let's get some lunch I saw that Charlot's actual class was HOURS away, so I suggest we walk down the street to this place I had seen. The hubs was quite reluctant at the moment but eventually gave in. Oh goodness am I glad he did.

The Ox Cafe and Bakery is located inside of the historic Livestock Exchange Building and they are open each weekday for breakfast and lunch. The menu rotates seasonally and features some delicious sandwiches and salads as well as a daily special and soup of the day. The breakfast selection looked incredible as well. As amazing as the menu is the building and restaurant area are just so historic and beautiful. 


I like normal began eating prior to actually taking a picture of my food or anyone else's. I will shout this from the heavens the smoked turkey sandwich is most definitely in my top 5 sandwiches of all time! The apple, brie, and the dijon were perfect but what sat it off and I'm thinking what sets off all their sandwiches is the BREAD...all of their breads are made in house daily. Sweet lord it was good bread and not Keto friendly am I ashamed NOPE. Charlot's grilled cheese was amazing the bread was so soft yet toasted perfectly with several melty gooey cheeses, but the oregano aioli made it complete. I can still taste it. Now all I can vouch for on the hubs plate is that it was pretty and the pumpkin soup was very good (the small taste I got), because he didn't offer to share much. 


Truly though you can't have a great restaurant without a great staff and the Ox sure has one. Each person we encountered was so kind and warm as well as very knowledgeable of the menu and the history of the building. Charlot asked our waiter why the place was called the ox and he proceeded to tell her how important cattle trade was to Kansas City and how the city was the center of it for the whole country in addition he explained that the area behind the building used to be filled with cattle. The hubs and I knew most of his information but it was so sweet that he took the time to talk to our little girl. The coffees I ordered topped it all off! They were delicious and the barista took the time to show Charlot how it was made and show her exactly how to make the pretty designs on the top. Such a great experience. 

If you happen to be in that area of KC on the regular or if you just want to try something new out give the Ox Cafe and Bakery a try your won't be disappointed! 


No comments:

Post a Comment