Monday, November 3, 2014

Harvest Salad



Holy Halloween! The candy bug bit me big time I could not seem to stop eating it on Friday. So in an effort to hit the reset button on Saturday I really had a hankering for a nice salad. But it was extremely cold Saturday so I knew a nice hearty salad is all that would do. I couldn’t get the idea of fall flavors in a salad out of my head that is where this beauty was born. 

Ingredients could easily be switched out to change up the flavor a bit, pecans for almonds, parmesan for blue cheese, oh and turkey for chicken (I’m thinking thanksgiving leftovers). But I would highly recommend leaving the apples in there, their sweetness combined with the sharpness from the vinaigrette is awesome. Give this a try. Oh you could easily leave out the meat and eat it as a starter to a meal! Hope you all enjoy! 
Before adding the chicken and apples

After, YUMMY

Harvest Salad

Makes 4
3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
Salt and Pepper to taste
3 pieces of bacon (cooked and diced)
1 bag fresh spinach 
1 bag of an artisan blend of lettuce (I prefer the artisan blend that has four small heads of lettuce that you have to chop)
2 Gala apples (sliced)
1 small package Dried Cranberries
1 small package sliced Almonds (toasted)
2-3 oz blue cheese

Preheat a non-stick skillet over medium heat with a bit of EVOO and butter, season chicken with salt and pepper. Add whole chicken breasts and sear until cooked through usually 3-5 minutes/side. Allow to rest for 5 minutes prior to slicing thin. I like to plate these salads individually but the same thing can be done in a large bowl. Start with spinach and lettuce blend, top with almonds, cranberries, and cheese. Lastly add warm chicken and apples. 

Plum vinaigrette 
 ¼ cup plum preserves
½ cup EVOO
1 TBSP Dijon Mustard
1 tsp apple cider vinegar 
Salt and pepper to taste
Wisk all ingredients together until well combined. Drizzle over salad and toss. 

No comments:

Post a Comment