Thursday, October 13, 2011

Updates and Education...

So it has been a busy few weeks in our home. Between work and pigs we are staying quite busy. I have been super busy with work; this time of year is simply put crazy. I do a lot of work with Pioneer’s recruitment team, meaning I go to some career fairs, speak to some groups on campus, and travel to some conferences to speak for the company. I love it! Because I do love my job and I am passionate about the work that the company does I truly love recruiting others to join the Pioneer family. The thing about this is that it isn’t actually my full job this time of year; it is kind of a side thing I do. So it runs into some evenings and weekends. This past weekend I was asked to speak at a conference in Washington D.C. This was my first overnight away from Charlot oh so hard. I mean crazy hard. I seriously am an eternal optimist, but I am pretty sure having a child has changed that in me. I thought of every horrible situation possible prior to leaving, I am pretty sure I was boarding the plane with tears streaming down my face. I did not want to leave her! She didn’t seem to mind it too much, her and Daddy spent some quality time.


Insert: The following subject maybe odd for some readers, but it is a part of my everyday life, and it is a part of the great industry of agriculture. Plus a cute pic of Charlot prior too.


The hubs has been busy trying to ensure that all the sows are bred for litters this winter. In our operation, as with many operations, it is more feasible for us to use artificial insemination to breed our sows than to have several different boars. This entails, logging the sows heat cycle, selecting the boar from a stud company (catalog/online), ordering the semen, receiving the semen from the UPS man and doing the deed(hahaha I couldn’t be completely serious about this subject). It is actually quite an interesting process if you would like to learn more click HERE, for a full tutorial. So I bring all this up because a couple weeks ago my cousin was here from Florida, complete city girl, and she was very interested and humored by the process. So I thought I would share with all of you! The hubs will be so proud!

Here are some more pics from our visit to the orchard and one with Charlot and my cousin.



I hope you learned a little something, and I hope you have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment