Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Broccoli Pesto...Two Ways!


Is there anyone else who loves and I mean loves…pesto! Not necessarily the jarred stuff… not that it isn’t good just not quite like the fresh stuff that my summer bounty of basil allows me to produce, so anyone else on team pesto?
That was ridiculous how long that took me to explain I really like pesto! But here’s the kicker, the hubs, grrr doesn’t like basil!!! WHAT how can one simply not like basil it is the key ingredient in basil pesto…sad days for me. What is the point in making a meal featuring pesto if I am going to have to make something else for him? Well I think the food good vibes were shining on me this weekend and were aware that I needed pesto in my life. As I was cleaning Saturday I had the food network on, Giada in Italy to be exact and I heard her speak of a broccoli pesto that she was putting on a grilled chicken sandwich. Say WHAT!!! Not that I actually took the time to stop and listen to what she was saying or actually go look the recipe up but I knew this was the answer to my pesto prayers.

On Sunday I decided this so called broccoli pesto needed to be created! I had broccoli, almonds, parmesan cheese, and EVOO what else could I possibly need? Off I went to create. Steam up the broccoli, drain throw in food processor (if you don’t have one you need one!), add remaining ingredients season with salt and pepper. There you have it! Perfect Pesto, hum nope it needed something, something like basil (no no no!) green onion tops! YES!!! Oh and a little lemon zest and juice!

Here it was used as our pasta sauce!
This was the perfect spread for a grilled chicken sandwich then it made quite a bit so I stirred it into some pasta last night thinned with some pasta water delicious! Give this healthy oh so yummy spread a try! I’m thinking it will make the perfect sauce for pizza!

Broccoli Pesto
4 cups fresh broccoli steamed
1 cup Sliced Almonds (toasted)
1 cup Parmesan Cheese
1 cup EVOO
¼ cup Green Onion Tops
Juice and Zest of one lemon
Salt and pepper to taste
Place all ingredients in food processor minus the EVOO, pulse to combine, stream in EVOO and blend until smooth you want a good spreadable consistency.  ENJOY!


No comments:

Post a Comment