Tuesday, March 15, 2016

My Thoughts on National Agriculture Day...


Today is National Agriculture Day, a day that is intended to recognize and celebrate the abundance that agriculture gives to each and every one of us. This day is really special for me because my entire life each and every day revolves around agriculture, at home, at work, in the car pretty much always. I feel we need to celebrate this industry that is the foundation of our country every day, and I do my best to do that. As a nation I think one day is great as well. 

Her first litter of pigs for the year.
The thing is in recent years it seems that the agriculture industry is fighting an even larger uphill battle than ever before. Farmers and agriculturalist alike are being made into these people that no one trust and can’t seem to understand. And by no one I mean your average consumer. So today I want to share with you and anyone who seems to care why agriculture is so important to me. Besides the obvious that I like to eat. 
Headed to the sale barn on a Saturday with Daddy 
To me agriculture is a time honored tradition that has been passed down from generation to generation in my family. I fell in love with agriculture before I even knew what it was, the first time I laid eyes on Lady the ewe my dad was buying for me. And the first time she lambed and I saw those twins I didn’t know if I would ever want to leave that barn. This is something I can’t explain to most I just knew from that day forward that I always wanted that feeling. And I still get it each time I see a baby pig being born or witness a momma cow searching for her calf, or even the sight of the first a planter in the field in the spring. It’s a feeling of pride and responsibility that I don’t get anywhere else one that I want to pass on. 

Learning to drive not in drivers ed but in a pasture.
Today I wanted to share some of my favorite pictures of Charlot learning the love of this industry. I want people to realize that there are people behind this industry trying to pass it on to the next generation and the generation after that. We want our industry to be strong and robust we want to be trusted. Each time I see something on social media or the media in general that shines a negative light on this industry I love I feel a little piece of my heart being pulled with it. I know that the further removed people are from the agriculture industry the harder it is for them to understand but please if I can ask you one thing it is this… if you have questions ask a person directly involved in the industry and please please please don’t believe everything you see and read.  
Washing her summer show gilts

Learning some school lessons at the State Fair

Checking Cows
There are so many families out there just like mine, these are the people that feed you each and every day and would give up everything to make certain they can keep doing it. 
Eating supper on the tailgate of a pickup
Visiting daddy and poppy in the hay field
Falling in love with her first gilt Daisy
Learning the love of the show ring
Being Daddy's gate assistant
And one day she will see this and know she was born into this industry.


Today I am leaving you with this my favorite quote from Paul Harvey’s So God Made a Farmer Speech and my favorite quote about farmers in general. 


"Somebody who'd bale a family together with the soft strong bonds of sharing, who would laugh and then sigh, and then reply, with smiling eyes, when his son says he wants to spend his life 'doing what dad does.'" So God made a farmer.

"In the Winters Chill or the Summers Heat Farmers and Ranchers Work so the World Can Eat"

Happy National Agriculture Day!








No comments:

Post a Comment