Friday, December 5, 2014

Random Acts of Kindness Christmas Countdown!

We started a new tradition in our home this year a new countdown to Christmas a Random Acts of Kindness Countdown. I started this for two main reasons, 1. It is my greatest desire as a parent to raise my child to have a servant’s heart, and 2. I kept hearing her say Santa’s going to bring me this or Santa’s going to bring me that and I wanted her to understand that Christmas is about more than Santa. We really want Christ to be the center of Christmas in our house.




 This is our advent countdown, and no we don’t have an elf on the shelf, but our kiddo does know that Santa will still come. And hopefully if Santa sees her doing all these nice things for other people he will be even happier with her. No elf just a garland with envelopes that have a task for her to complete each day. The way we have worked it is that on Sunday night we presented a letter to her explaining what we were doing and why. Then we let her open her first envelope. We open one each night after supper and it tells her what she is going to do the next day, we typically complete the task after I pick her from the sitter each day. This has become something she looks forward to each day and the smile on her face makes it all worthwhile




A few people in town have seen what we are doing and asked or commented about it, which I think is awesome. I got most of my ideas for each day from Pinterest and some I really wanted her to do. My plan is to post a summary of her week’s activities each Friday. Then at the end of Christmas post a summary of the whole event. So if you and your family care to join in please do!

Week #1-
12/1- Tape Candy Canes and a Note to the ATM’s

This is her leaving the book on the friends porch
12/2- Pick out a book to give to a friend


12/3- Tape Money and a Note to the Soda Machines in Town



12/4- Color a Picture for someone and Mail it to them

12/5- Pick out Hats and Gloves to Give to the Holiday Project (No pictures yet her and Daddy are doing this tonight while I cook for the church chili supper)


I have nothing against the Elf thing this is just what we are doing and I wanted to share!

1 comment: