Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Chicken enchilada casserole...


I am a strong lover of Mexican Food. It is my weakness, ok so most of my weakness revolve around food but I am not ashamed. Mexican food though it holds a very special place in my heart! The hubs knows that when I have had a bad day, he can skip the flowers, and utter these words “do you want to go eat Mexican.” Chips, Salsa, Margarita I am there! This casserole provides me with my Mexican fix in an easy mid-week package.
Since it can all be made and assembled ahead of time it is perfect for freezer meals. Or if you are like me and normally have shredded chicken on hand it makes quick work when getting home from work. I loved the heartiness of the casserole and who doesn't love cheese!

Chicken Enchilada Casserole

3 large chicken breasts
1 package chicken taco seasoning
2 cups broth or water
2 cups dry rice (you can use pretty much any kind)
2 (10 oz) cans Enchilada Sauce
1 can refried beans (I used the vegetarian kind, a little more thigh friendly)
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 tsp hot sauce

In your slow cooker place chicken taco seasoning and broth, allow to cook for 6-8 hours on low. Shred. Cook rice according to package directions. In a large mixing bowl combine chicken, rice, sauce, beans, 1 cup of cheese, and hot sauce, season with salt and pepper to taste. If the mixture seems too thick for you add a little of the chicken cooking liquid. Pour mixture into a prepared casserole dish. Top with remaining cheese. Bake at 350 for 35 minutes. Serve with lettuce, tomatoes, sour cream, black olives, or whatever you wish! Just ENJOY!


No comments:

Post a Comment