Monday, November 4, 2013

Career Mom Monday’s…Thankful Series Continued

Today I continue my thankful series for the month of November. I truly am thankful for the job that I have. It is not the job that I grew up envisioning I would have nor is it what I exactly went to college to pursue. When I started college at the ripe old age of 18 I just knew I wanted to be an Ag. Teacher just like my dad and brother. I just had to be a teacher, it is what fit, right???

Well let’s just say that once I got going in college and had a couple of internship opportunities I knew that teaching was still in my heart just maybe not teaching in a traditional classroom. Then I had the opportunity to intern with a large seed company right before my senior year of college. It totally opened me up to a side of Agriculture that I didn’t have much knowledge of and I fell in love. I loved knowing that I was making a difference in a farmer’s livelihood.

As I was in the job search during my senior year of college I was searching and searching and searching. Thinking how in the world am I going to find a career. I just broke down one day not knowing what I was going to do. Then I remembered one of my dad’s famous lines, “Tiffany, you’ve got to get your prioriotites straight.” At that point I sat down and listed honestly what my top three needs for a job were. #1 was it needed to be close to home, the Hubs (who was my boyfriend at the time) wasn’t moving and he was close to home. Next it needed to be something in Agriculture, preferably the seed side. Third I wanted it to be something I felt like I would be making a difference. At least I had a plan.

In March of 2006 when I walked in to the research center that I work at, for an interview, I would have never guessed how much that place would teach and change me. I thought if they offer me this job I'll take it because it is close to home and a great place to start. Well low and behold they did offer me a job, and nearly 8 years later I truly took a job and turned it into a career I love and am so very passionate about. The question my company posed to participants at the farm progress show this year really sums up why I love what I do. They asked "how are you making a difference today to feed the world tomorrow?" Each and every day I can honestly answer that question. 

Thank you to my boss for believing in that super young and naive girl he hired all those years ago. I sure am glad you took a chance on me!

No comments:

Post a Comment