Monday, November 11, 2013

Thankful Series Continued...Freedom


Today is Veterans Day and I can't think of a better thing to be more thankful for. My freedom. Because without the sacrifices of these brave men and women we wouldn't have this freedom. The freedom to speak publicly, bear an arm, vote, worship in our chosen way and so much more. 
I don't have a ton of experience with the military. My uncle is in the Navy and has served several tours of duty and one of my other uncles served during the Vietnam war. But I never have experienced the day in and day out worries of a husband or wife, son or daughter being gone. 
This spring the realities of war were brought to life for me. A young wife and mother that I grew up showing with and was very active in FFA in high school. I had been following her blog as she and her husband were preparing for his deployment, and as she was going through the deployment with her girls. I will never forget that May afternoon when I read her sisters Facebook post in disbelief. The post simply stated that my friends' husband had been called home to be with The Lord, that he wouldn't be coming home to his wife and daughters the way they had planned. 
I had never had the privilege to meet her husband but I felt like some one had sucked the air out of my lungs. I couldn't imagine what she and her girls were going through. That night I hugged my hubs a bit tighter and realized I needed to be more thankful for him, because he was here. What I have taken away from this story is the strength of this young wife and mom I have continued to follow her thoughts and stories through Facebook and her blog, she is truly amazing. 
So thank you to all the men and women out there who sacrifice each and everyday so I can live without fear and live with freedom. And thank you to your loved ones their sacrifices are great and honorable as well.

She doesn't know I am linking this up so I hope it is ok, this is the website to my friends blog and her thoughts on Veterans Day, it is quite inspiring! Www.troopsteachingsandtots.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment