Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Broccoli Salad



If you are in need of an awesome side dish for your weekend get togethers or a great salad to pack in your lunch for work during the week this puppy is it! Now my big brother introduced me to a salad like this that you can buy at your local Wal-Mart deli. I am a fan of it but occasionally it is a bit too oniony (is that a word) for me. I am rather sensitive to the flavor of raw onion. 

The other thing about making this salad myself I get to control the ingredients that are going into it, thus controlling the amount of calories it is adding into my life! I have changed it up a little from the store deli version, I added sliced red grapes, lowered the onion content, subbed craisins for raisins, oh and wait for it...made the dressing from Greek yogurt!!! That's right this salad could basically serve as a complete meal! 

I'll stop talking about it and get to making it!

Broccoli Salad

1 package fresh Broccoli (broke into small florets)
4 pieces of Turkey Bacon (cooked and crumbled) 
2 Cups Red Grapes (sliced in half)
1 Cup Chopped Pecans
1/2 cup Craisins
1/4 cup Finely Diced Red Onion
1/4 Sunflower Seeds

Dressing
1 Cup Plain Greek Yogurt
1/4 Cup Olive Oil Mayo 
2 TBSP Vinegar
1 TSP Balsamic Vinegar
Pinch of Sugar
Salt and Pepper to taste

Toss all Salad ingredients in a large bowl. In a mason jar with a lid combine all dressing ingredients and shake well, you may have to add more vinegar depending on desired consistency. Pour dressing over salad and mix well coating all pieces. Chill salad for at least 2 hours before serving. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment