Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Citrus Roasted Herbed Chicken


I have been doing monthly meal plans for several months now and I have found they are a saving grace. They make my evenings go so much smoother and they are also very cost effective, I find I make less last minute trips to the grocery store. Also with my monthly meal plans we have been making a real effort to not go out to eat nearly as much. Now this is great as well for both the wallet and waistline, but I do feel sometimes like I’m missing out. I get this feeling mostly on Saturday nights for some reason I feel this is a special night and I should be eating something special.

To combat this in my meal plans I try to plan more of a special meal, one I wouldn’t typically make Monday through Friday. And it has worked quite nicely! We get a nice meal on the weekend, we save some money and a lot of times I get the chance to try out a new recipe. Date night dinners at home are pretty nice quiet and relaxing. Charlot loves it because we typically choose a movie to watch as a family after supper and I normally make some kind of dessert.

Today’s recipe is one of those new recipes I tried on a Saturday night in, and I think it is perfect for a special meal at home! Especially since the peak of citrus season will soon be here! I love using clementine’s in a dishes and this is a perfect use for them!

Citrus Roasted Herbed Chicken
¼ cup EVOO
4 Cloves of Garlic (minced)
2 TBSP Sugar
2 Lemons (1 sliced one juiced)
2 Clementine’s (1 sliced one juiced)
½ tsp Paprika
1 TBSP Italian Seasoning
1 TSP Onion Powder
¼ tsp Red Pepper Flakes
Salt and Pepper to taste
10-12 pieces of Bone in Chicken (I like Legs and Thighs)
1 Small Onion (thinly sliced)
1 TSP Dried Thyme

In a large zip top mix EVOO, garlic, sugar, citrus juice, paprika, Italian seasoning, onion powder, red pepper flakes, and chicken, allow mixture to marinate in the refrigerator for at least an hour up to 6 hours.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a large baking dish line the bottom with ½ of the onion slices pour in the chicken and marinade. Take remaining onion and citrus slices and arrange around the sides of the dish and in-between pieces of chicken sprinkle Thyme over the top.  Roast in oven for 1 hour or until juices run clear if the top of the chicken isn’t brown enough for you broil it for 3-5 minutes. Enjoy over rice or noodles or just mop up the juice with a nice piece of crusty bread and most importantly ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment