Monday, April 14, 2014

Quick and Easy Beef Lo Mein



Oh man do I love Chinese food especially Lo Mein… plus we have an amazing Chinese restaurant here locally. I seriously haven’t found one I like more. Then there are those times that I don’t really want to drive into the next town to get takeout from this lovely little place. Plus if I make it I get to control the ingredients that are going into the mix plus I can bump up the veggie content!


Last Thursday was one of those nights that I needed a quick supper and I had gotten a beef sirloin steak out of the freezer so I needed to incorporate it into the meal. Typically I use those steaks in fajitas or even slow cooked with tomatoes but I just wasn’t feeling either of those. I really wanted some Chinese. Me being me I threw caution to the wind and decided I would give making my beloved Lo Mein a go!

I wanted to quick marinate the meat and add more veggies to this dish. The result was a great balance of savory, sweet/tangy, and spicy. Plus as I said before I was in control of the ingredients and the amount of each ingredient which was really great! Please don’t judge the fact that I had frozen egg rolls with it, they were in my freezer and with no shame I will say they were delicious as was the main course. Give this recipe a try for a different quick and easy week night supper. Feel free to switch up the veggies to meet your family’s needs, cabbage, green onion, broccoli, carrots would all be great!

Beef Lo Mein

1 Sirloin Steak (1-1 ½ lbs.) thinly sliced across the grain. (I threw mine back in the freezer for a few minutes to make slicing thin easier!)

1 Onion Thinly Sliced

2 Bell Peppers Sliced in match sticks

2 cups Sugar Snap Peas

½ Lb Fettuccini Pasta

Marinade

¼ cup EVOO

¼ cup Low Sodium Soy Sauce

2 TBSP Sugar

2 Cloves Garlic Minced

1 TSP Ground Ginger

¼ TSP Red Pepper Flake

1/2 Orange (Juiced)

Salt and Pepper to taste

In a gallon size zip top bag add your meat with all marinade ingredients close the bag and shake it around so that all meat is evenly coated. Place back in the fridge while you prepared the remainder.
Cook pasta according to package directions.
In a large nonstick skillet heat 2 TBSP EVOO. Once your oil is hot add your onion (I do onion first because I like it to get all the way cooked.) Once your onion is softened take your meat out of bag don’t pour the sauce into the pan what is on the meat is plenty. Add meat to the hot skillet stirring quickly to speed cooking, add peppers at this time too.
When meat and peppers are to desired doneness add peas and pasta stirring quickly to coat the pasta in the sauce. Squeeze the other half of the orange over the dish at this time. If you feel you need more sauce you can add some pasta water or a bit of soy sauce. Your peas will still have a nice bright green color and a nice crunch to them as well!
Please enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment