Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Strawberry Shortcake Cake with Fluffy Cheesecake Frosting


I found some beautiful strawberries over the weekend that were just begging me to make something spectacular. I couldn’t get the idea of strawberry shortcake out of my head but I didn’t want just your average shortcake it needed something. Enter a sweet butter cake and cheesecake and voila this bad boy was made.


I love the idea of all of these flavors marrying together but not soaking the cake and allowing each part of still have its own flavor! I took this to my parents’ house for Sunday lunch and it was met with solid reviews that I should definitely make it again.
The fact of the matter is that I started out making this to be a layer cake. Well let’s just say one layer didn’t come out of the pan so swell. But actually I liked the one layer thing it was just enough light refreshing sweet dessert without being too much. So if you are going to try your hand at making this realize the recipe is going to yield two butter cakes, which means you could go with the layer cake approach or you could make two separate cakes and have one to share with a friend! I always like that approach!

Strawberry Shortcake Cake

1 yellow cake mix

1 stick room temp butter

1 cup sour cream (I used plain Greek yogurt)

4 eggs

½ cup water

2 pints of Strawberries sliced thin

In a mixer combine all ingredients and beat on a medium speed until light and fluffy. Pour batter into two prepared 9 inch pans and back for 20-25 minutes at 350. When they come out of the oven allow to cool in the pan for 5 minutes then invert pans onto a cooling rack.

Once cakes are completely cool top each cake with ½ of the strawberries try to keep a nice even layer, it makes icing easier. Frost the cakes with your cheesecake frosting!

Fluffy Cheesecake Frosting

1 box Cheesecake Pudding

1 Cup Milk

1 container Cool-whip

Mix pudding and milk allow to set up. Fold in the Cool-whip.

No comments:

Post a Comment