Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Cornbread Topped Chili...

With the onset of a little cooler weather the past few days I totally felt the need for some hearty chili! But me being me, I wanted to try something new and different with my standard chili! I had been cruising Pintrest and saw all these chili and cornbread casserole dishes and I do love some cornbread with my chili. Most of the recipes I saw required making the chili then pouring it into a sperate dish to make the casserole. Well that is not my style, extra dishes NO THANK YOU!!!


I set out to make this dish by using my basic chili recipe and two boxes of Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix. I just made my chili in a Dutch oven and let it simmer for a half an hour or so. Then I prepared my muffin mixes according to the box directions with the addition of a squirt of honey, I thought the chili might have gotten a bit hot! Once the chili was nice and bubbly and the corn mix was ready I just topped the chili with the mix and baked it for 20 minutes and topped with cheese. Wow it was delish! Perfect for a cold fall/winter day idea for a football party or even a tail gate it would travel nicely!



Chili!

2 lbs lean ground beef

2 cloves garlic (Minced)

½ onion (Chopped)

¼ tsp red pepper

1 tbsp cumin

2 tbsp chili powder

½ tsp salt

1 can tomato paste (the little one)

1 can petite diced tomatoes

1 can chili beans (drained)

2 cups beef broth (or if your like me and can’t remember to purchase all ingredients use water)

Brown the beef with the garlic and onion. Drain off most of the fat add in spices and stir around for a few seconds to get the spices incorporated really well. Add in remaining ingredients allow to simmer for 20 to 30 minutes.

This is my basic recipe for chili so it is delish with or without the cornbread topping

Cornbread topping

While it is simmering make your cornbread with whatever mix your like! Add some honey it really adds a nice sweetness!

Dollop the cornbread mixture over the chili until top is covered bake according to package directions in the last 5 minutes top with shredded cheddar cheese

Enjoy! I topped mine with sour cream just because it seemed like the right thing to do!



I hope all of you are enjoying some cooler weather!

No comments:

Post a Comment