Monday, September 9, 2013

Quiche

As you can tell I was running out of day light.
 A few nights ago I made this delightful quiche for supper; I also doubled the recipe to take to a friend who is recovering from surgery. Now I have never in my life made a quiche but I kept trying to think of something different than my typical casseroles to take to my friend. I saw a few recipes on Pintrest and on The Pioneer Woman for quiches and thought what the heck who wouldn’t like meat cheese and eggs in a flaky crust.

It was a hit at our house! I have a little extra filling so I just poured it into muffin tins with no crust and baked it the hubs loved both version the whole pie effect flaky crust and all and the muffin form. He even started requesting what I should put in the next one I make!

This is a really simple recipe that could be made in advance and froze or make the filling and refrigerate for a day or so then bake when ready. It is a wonderful breakfast, lunch, or supper. I served ours with a lightly dressed salad. YUMMY!

This recipe is enough for 2 deep dish quiche’s…

2 pie crusts (either bought or make your own my momma’s recipe can be found )

1 ¼ lb bacon cut into large pieces and cooked to almost crisp (I like a bit of chewiness) and drained

3 Tbsp Butter

1 large onion sliced very thin

1 ½ cups Shredded Cheddar Cheese (I used sharp)

2 oz Cream

2 ¼ cups Heavy Cream (you could use half and half or a mixture of the two)

12 Eggs

Salt and Pepper to taste



Prepare your pie crusts and roll out into deep dish pie pans. Put in fridge to keep cool while other ingredients cook. Pre-heat oven to 350. In a large non-stick skillet cook bacon to desired crispiness. Remove bacon from skillet leaving some of the grease in the skillet. Add butter to skillet and turn heat to a med-low add your onion. Allow onion to cook slowly to develop the flavor. Once cooked remove from skillet and allow to cool slightly. In a large bowl crack eggs and whisk, pour in the cream. Whisk until well combined season with Salt and Pepper. Add bacon, onion and cheese to egg mixture make sure bacon and onion are not hot you don’t want scrambled eggs. Mix thoroughly. Pour mixture into prepared pie crusts. Bake for 40 minutes covered loosely with foil. Remove foil and bake for another 10-15 minutes until the top is nicely browned! ENJOY!

Please don’t let the bacon onion cheese quiche be your only option. The hubs thinks Sausage, bell pepper, mushroom and pepper jack cheese would be divine.  I think chicken and broccoli would be lovely. What do you think??? Quiche ideas please!

Hope all of you are having a wonderful Monday!
Momma's biggest helper!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment