Friday, September 27, 2013

Teaching Agriculture...


Yesterday was National Teach Ag day, and today I want to honor this. I know there seems to be a trend with my blogs this week, I am most definitely a day late on everything! But back to the topic at hand. National Teach Ag day, well I think this is a day that should be celebrated everyday.

 Teaching is something that I feel takes a very very special person and to teach Agriculture Education takes an even more special person. I say this because it isn’t just teaching in the classroom you are spending 12 months out of the year ensuring these students are getting the most out of their Agriculture Education experience. From classroom teaching to visiting them at their jobs, farms, etc…, to taking them to camps and fairs. So thank you to all Ag Teachers out there, you sure are some special people. 


An Ag Teachers job is never done. And I am very lucky to have three Ag teachers in my family. My big brother spends every day teaching high school youth the importance of Agriculture at our hometown high school. He is a great teacher and I can most definitely see in his kid’s eyes their love for him. This summer the hubs had one of Zach’s students working for him and he asked him who his favorite teacher was, note this kid didn’t know the hubs was related to Zach, he said it is Mr. Crews he is the best. He cares about us and makes class fun.

The hubs sister spends her days teaching in a large Ag program in CoMo. Meridith wears the badge of Ag teacher with pride spending countless hours teaching training and helping her students. When she speaks about her job you really can tell that it is a passion for her.

Last but most defiantly not least is my dad. He is no longer teaching in the classroom but is definitely still educating people. Dad spent his 23 year career as an Ag Teacher in my hometown and has had a lasting impact. One of my favorite things is when I meet someone new and they find out where I am from and what my maiden name is many say, “Well your dad was my Ag. Teacher or I met your dad at this conference or that fair.” I am not certain of others experiences but for me my dad gave me a love and appreciation of Agriculture and I would not and could not be where I am today without his instruction. He approached teaching with a hard nose but an open heart. My dad cared deeply about his students and only wanted the best for them. He sacrificed his own time and moments to make certain that the legacy of our Ag. Program and FFA Chapter were successful. Honestly he always wanted and still wants only the best for each of his students. And if you were lucky like me to have him as your teacher I hope you someday may tell how he helped you!

So from me to you Dad. Thank you! You showed me the difference between a T-bone and a Porterhouse steak, you taught me to run a meeting with order using parliamentary procedure, and you taught me so so much more. But most of all you taught me the love of Agriculture and that is something no one can ever replace and I can only hope that I can pass that on to my child. Thanks again Dad for it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment