Monday, March 24, 2014

Italian Sloppy Joes…


Let me get this out there in the open! I am not a fan of the traditional Sloppy Joe, the sweet tomatoey sauce it just never really made me jump for joy. I think maybe my dad ruined me on them just kidding dad you didn’t do it I didn’t really like them before your “doctor up the Sloppy Joe’s incident.” Although I don’t like them I like the idea of a simple supper that I can use my pre-browned frozen hamburger for. I just don’t like that sauce. This led me to these jewels.


This is the perfect meal for a momma on the go it took me less than 20 minutes to get these puppies on the table! So if you are sitting at work wondering what in the holy heck you are going to fix for supper tonight that might actually get a decent response (or am I the only one that does that?), give these babies a try.

I served my on garlic Texas Toast and melted provolone over the top I liked the crunch of the garlic toast, but feel free change it up. Use a bun; serve it open face, garlic sub roll, mozzarella cheese, Swiss, parmesan whatever suits your fancy. (or whatever is in your fridge)

If you are wondering about the pasta salad in the pictures I will post that recipe later in the week.

Italian Sloppy Joe’s (Makes 4 Large Sandwiches)

1 lb Hamburger (Browned and Drained)

1 large can Crushed Tomatoes

2 TBSP EVOO

1 TSP Italian Seasoning

1 TBSP Minced Garlic

½ Crushed Red Pepper Flake

Salt and Pepper to taste

8 Slices of Texas Toast

4 TBSP Butter (softened)

2 TBSP Minced Garlic

4 slices of Provolone Cheese

Preheat oven to 375. In a large skillet brown your burger then drain it. In that same skillet add EVOO over medium heat then add in the Italian Seasoning, Minced Garlic, Red Pepper Flake, allow the spices to infuse the oil. Add crushed tomatoes and season with salt and pepper. Add burger to the sauce and simmer for at least 10 minutes or until you are ready to assemble your sandwiches.

Mix your softened butter and garlic together spread on one side of each piece of toast. Place toast on a cookie sheet buttered side up. Bake to 10 minutes or until the unbuttered side is nice and browned. Flip the pieces over and top four pieces of bread with your meat sauce and a top with cheese. Put back in the oven for another 2-3 minutes until the cheese is good and melty.

No comments:

Post a Comment