Thursday, March 6, 2014

Thankful Thursday's



I have blogged about this before but last night as I was making my version of my Great Aunt Alice’s Strawberry Cake it all came back to me again. I love how food or a recipe can bring someone who is no longer with us back even just for the brief period of time that you are baking they are there.


Aunt Alice was the most gracious, kind, bundle of smiles person I have ever known. She could light up the room when she entered it. On top of all of that she was an amazing cook, AMAZING! Every family dinner she ever came to you could bet your bottom dollar that she would walk in carrying a plate full of deviled eggs, a strawberry cake and the world’s heaviest purse. Trust me I know I carried that thing around for her growing up.
Thank you to my co-worker for requesting this cake for her birthday! Happy B-day DonDon

For the biggest portion of my childhood she hosted our entire family for Thanksgiving, that is where I got the love of the holiday. There would be food galore, more than you could ever imagine. She would spend all day cooking and running around making sure everyone was taken care of, she never ate. Oh in the middle of the afternoon you might see her sit down with a small sandwich, but her joy came from seeing others enjoying themselves.

Most of my memories of my aunt revolve around thanksgiving; LARGE “Alice” sized portions of ice cream, showing sheep, heavy purses, cards for each and every holiday, deviled eggs, and strawberry cake.
This is the last picture I have of my dear Aunt...she passed away about a year after the Hubs and I were married. I am so glad the photographer got this shot!

Today I am thankful for the time I got to “spend” with my Aunt Alice in the kitchen last night recreating her cake. Mine isn’t exactly like hers and not near as good but I’ll continue to make just for the memories and moments it brings back. Man I miss her.

Tiffany’s and Alice’s Strawberry Cake

1 white cake mix (I use Duncan Hines)

1 box vanilla pudding

1 cup water

½ cup oil

4 eggs

1 cup sour cream (I actually used Greek yogurt)

1 pint of strawberries (diced), you can use fresh or frozen

1 TSP Strawberry Extract

Heat oven to 350 and prepare two 9in round cake pans. In a mixer combine all ingredients and beat until batter is nice and thick yet fluffy. Pour into pans and bake for 20-25 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.

Icing (this is a new recipe I tried and it is good)

2 boxes Cheesecake Pudding

2 cups Milk

2 Containers of Cool Whip

Mix pudding and milk together, this mixture should be fairly thick. Allow it to cool in the fridge for 5-10 minutes. Make certain you Cool Whip is completely thawed. Fold it in to your pudding. Ice away at your cake! This makes quite a bit but it is pretty darn yummy so save what is left over and eat with a spoon!

No comments:

Post a Comment