Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Slim Downed Broccoli Chicken Alfredo

Earlier last fall I started a personal mission to eat healthier, exercise more, and basically become an overall healthier person. I feel great about the results and I am truly enjoying the new lifestyle changes I am making. But there are some things that I truly miss. Rich, creamy, hearty pasta sauces happen to be one of those things.

In an effort to find something to fill this void I turned to, what else pintrest. You can find everything on that site, right? I saw every version of Chicken Alfredo imaginable, man oh man they all looked amazing. Then I started seeing a few for “Skinny” Chicken Alfredo. I read a few and figured hey I can whip something like those together and surely that will fill the void in my life.

My version I tried to add more veggies and I used RonzoniGarden Delight Pasta. If you haven’t tried this pasta do, it has a ½ serving of veggies per 2oz portion. I started using this pasta for a healthier alternative, because the Hubs is NOT a fan of whole wheat pasta. I also stuck with some of the other recipes I read in adding plain Greek yogurt in the sauce.

Smart Broccoli Chicken Alfredo

3 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts

2 Heads of Broccoli broke into small pieces

1 pint Mushrooms (button or cremini) sliced

1 Clove of Garlic (I didn’t have any the night I was making it so I substituted with garlic powder)

1 lb Pasta (I used the Garden Delight Penne Cut)

2 Heaping spoonfuls AP Flour

2 Cups Chicken Stock or Broth

½ Cup Milk (I used whole but 2% would be fine, I’m not sure about skim)

¾ Cup Plain Greek Yogurt

2 TBSP Lemon Juice (this could easily be skipped, I just happen to love lemon)

Salt and Pepper to taste

Shredded Parmesan Cheese

Cook pasta according to package directions. Just before pasta is done throw in your broccoli. Reserve a little of the pasta water (you may need it later to thin the sauce a bit)

Heat 2-3 TBSP of EVOO in a skillet over medium to medium-high heat. Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper. Once skillet is good and hot put you chicken in and press it down. This will help form a “Crispy Skin.” And we all know crispy skin = yummy

After chicken is cooked remove from skillet and set aside. Do not clean the skillet throw in the mushrooms and cook them until they are good and brown. Remove from skillet.

Now you may need to add a bit more oil at this point. Add in your garlic cook for a few minutes, sprinkle it all with flour. Stir it around for a minute or so just to cook the raw flour taste out. Now deglaze the pan with your stock scrapping up all the delicious bit from the bottom. Bring this to a boil and allow it to thicken nicely. Stir in your milk and allow it to come back to a bubble. Turn off your heat and whisk in the yogurt. Season the whole thing with salt and pepper. This is the point where you would add the water if your sauce is too thick.

Add broccoli, pasta, and mushrooms to the pan stir to coat in the sauce. Squeeze in lemon juice if you desire. Top with parmesan cheese. I then put my sliced chicken breasts on top. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment