Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Brown Rice


I am sure this probably has a more sophisticated name but in my family we call it brown rice. And since we are all the picture of sophistication it must be correct! My momma has been making this dish since I can remember. She took it to every carry-in we went to and made it more times than she wants to remember for our birthdays. It now has become one of my go to dishes. Yes it is loaded with canned products and I have tried to make it not using them and guess what it doesn’t work! So don’t judge the processed products and give it a try!


On Sunday night my sister-in-law and I got the chance to cook supper together; she requested that we make this dish so I couldn’t deny her of that! If you want an easy side dish with super simple ingredients this bad boy is it! The only thing is the rice needs to soak for quite some time prior to making this.
This is one of the products it is sort of hard to find so I wanted you to know for sure what it was.

Momma Linda’s Brown Rice

1 cup of long grain rice

1 stick of butter

1 can of mushroom stems and pieces

1 can beef consommé

1 can mushroom steak sauce

Pour your rice into a bowl and cover with water. Soak for 8 hours, if you forget like I do a lot. You can do super-hot water for an hour or so it isn’t quite perfect but it does in a pinch.

Pre-heat your oven to 350. Drain rice and pour into a 8x8 glass baking dish that has been coated with cooking spray. Spread the rice out in the pan, pour in mushrooms (do not drain), beef consommé, and mushroom steak sauce. Top with the stick of butter. Put in the oven for 1 hour.

The magic will happen as it bakes and become a delicious side dish!



No comments:

Post a Comment