Monday, May 5, 2014

Cinco De Mayo= Lots of Deliciousness....

Now I really don’t need an excuse to prepare Mexican food or to have a Margarita for that matter but this day just makes it feel even more festive! Today I have several recipes for you that all be wonderful for a Cinco De Mayo supper or any nights meal for that matter.


I cooked these goodies up last night at my parents for an early celebration. The feast included Tequila Lime Chicken, Spanish Rice, Roasted Fajita Veggies, Black Beans and all the fixings. The citrus theme ran through the entire meal it was delicious! I kept think the only thing that could make it better was a Margarita, but I didn’t have all the needed items to create one!

But when I got home I was still in the mood for a Margarita and I kind of wanted to make a sweet treat to take to work …thus a Margarita pie was born! Think Key Lime Pie with less lime and hint of orange! I do believe it is a keeper!

Here are the recipes if you want to recreate this spread.

Tequila Lime Chicken

6 boneless skinless chicken breasts

1 cup Tequila

½ EVOO

1 cup Lime Juice

1 tsp Salt

1 tsp Pepper

½ tsp Cumin

1 bunch Cilantro

Marinate all ingredients a zip top bag for at least 1 hour the longer the better! Grill inside or out until completely cooked through.

Spanish Rice

½ onion

1/8 cup orzo pasta

1 cup rice

2 cans Rotel Cilanto Lime Flavor

2 cups Chicken Stock

In a large skillet sauté onion, orzo, and rice until toasted. Add in Rotel and Stock. Simmer on low for 20 minutes or until most of the liquid absorbed.

Roasted Fajita Veggies

2 onions Sliced

4 Bell Peppers any color

4 TBSP EVOO

1 TBSP Garlic Salt

1 TSP Black Pepper

1 Lime

Spread all veggies on a large baking sheet and toss with oil, salt and pepper. Roast in a 400 degree oven for 20 to 30 minutes. When they come out of the oven squeeze the juice of the lime over them and serve.

Margarita Pie

1 Shortbread Crust (honestly I had a premade one at home so I used that)

1 14oz can Sweetened Condensed Milk

¼ cup fresh lime juice

¼ cup fresh orange juice

1 tsp lime zest

1 tsp orange zest

4 egg yolks

¼ tsp kosher salt

Whipped Cream (for topping)

Mix all ingredients thoroughly and pour in to pre-baked pie crust. Bake at 325 for 16 minutes. Top with whipped cream.


ENJOY!!! and HAPPY CINCO DE MAYO oh and HAPPY MONDAY

No comments:

Post a Comment