Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Quick and Easy Calzones


I love a meal that I can come home from work and have ready to go in less tha 45 minutes...it makes this girl happy happy happy! These bad boys are perfect for a family on the go! You can bake them and freeze them for future meals, you can customize them according to each persons preferences, and you can make them from scratch or use some helpers from the store!
A calzone is a huge hit at our house because Charlot and the hubs are huge fans of pepperoni while I am not so much! And Charlot doesn't really like sauce so she can dip as much as she does or doesn't want too! Have these and a nice fresh salad and you have a complete meal! Or if you are like me stick some spinach inside and you have your whole meal all wrapped up and ready to go! 

Since I currently have an abundance of ground pork in my freezer the night I made these I decided it was a good use for it! Oh and I didn't have any pepperoni in the house! But seriously use this basic recipe to change and adapt. Also on a challenge from a friend I made my own crust for these, but feel free to use the can stuff! I am happy to say I made it though making my own pizza dough. I used The Pioneer Woman's recipe check it out if you want! Here's the link!

 Easy Calzones makes 4-6

1 ball pizza dough 
1 lb of ground pork
1 onion diced
1 tsp salt 
1 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp red pepper flake
1/2 tsp Italian seasoning 
1 ball fresh Monzzarella Cheese (sliced)
1 jar pizza sauce (I made the crust that night I figured that was enough homemade) 

Brown the pork with the onion and seasons and drain. Allow it to cool for a bit while you cut out your dough circles. Cut out or roll out circles of dough that are around 6 to 8 inches in diameter. Add some meat mixture in center in a line, top with some cheese. Fold the dough over and crimp the edges. Place on a tray, drizzle with some evoo and sprinkle with a bit of kosher salt. Bake at 375 for 15 to 20 minutes.  Warm the sauce while the calzones are baking and serve for dipping!!! 

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment