Monday, February 2, 2015

The Miracle of Life…

Love at first sight. The Hubs has a cold hence the mask.
I will never forget the first time I saw a baby lamb being born; it was completely gross, slimy, exciting and scary all at the same time. Pretty much from then on I knew that when I had children I wanted them to be able to experience this as well.
She was so gentle

A little head rubbing

When the hubs and I decided long before we were married that raising livestock was going to be a part of our lives, I couldn’t have been happier. Then when I found a job that allowed be to basically move home so I could not only raise livestock but do it with my family I seriously was ecstatic. I saw the things I had dreamed of falling into place for our family. (I do know I had some weird dreams)
Daisy and Charlot in August. 


Daddy I need to hold one.


So last summer I introduced all of you to Daisy, Charlot’s Berkshire gilt. Charlot showed her last summer and had a great experience with her. We then decided to bring her home to add to our sow heard. She was bred this fall and last Sunday I felt so sorry for the poor dear. She looked like she was so ready to go, and as a mom, I have experienced those last few days before the baby comes. Those days when all you do is pray the baby comes and kind of hope it stays right where it’s at. Anyway that is how she looked; she had the miserable motherly glow!
Whoa little guy 

She's in love
Well this Saturday morning Daisy became a momma! I was picking my momma up to go grocery shopping/picking Charlot up from her other grandma, when momma Linda said Daisy has started and the Hubs was in the farrowing house with her. Hooray! Charlot was going to be so excited. And that she was! As soon as I told her that Daisy was having her babies, she was ready to go home and help. Well we got done in town as quick as possible and as soon as we pulled in the drive Charlot was ready to be in that farrowing house with her dad and Daisy. I made her wait just a minute to be certain everything was ok for her to come in. I got the go ahead from the Hubs and grabbed Charlot. From the moment we walked in there she was grinning ear to ear.
Little bitty hadn't even opened his eyes.

Then she saw something and Daisy started to strain, we told her that another baby was getting ready to come. She got as close and we would let her and with her eyes and big as saucers she watched a baby being born. She helped the Hubs dry it off and get it in with its momma. She just kept saying how cool it was. Charlot and I decided to give Daisy some space after a bit, plus Charlot needed to get in the house to tell Pap what she had seen.

She kept telling the hubs thank you daddy thank you!
As soon as we walked in the house she announced that Daisy “POOPED out a baby.” Oh boy I can’t wait to see what she tells the other kids at the babysitters today! I am happy to say that Daisy and all 9 of her babies are doing well, and Charlot is so in love with them. She has requested to keep all of them; we are going to have to work on that with her.


No comments:

Post a Comment