Monday, February 9, 2015

Things I Love…Children in Church…


This was from VBS this summer

Today I am starting a week-long series on the things I love. Not just my family and friends but something that strikes me that particular day. I got this idea yesterday as I was sitting in church, listening to the pastoral prayer about love but I didn't just hear his words. I heard a baby cooing, two little ones giggling at each other, and I heard mine saying Momma will you hold me.

What I heard in addition to his prayer may have been more powerful, and made me realize how much I love to hear children in church. I love the sound of a baby cooing, kids giggling, toddler’s whining, mommas quieting, all in the house of the Lord. To me it is the sound of a club, a club of parents who despite all else managed to get up on a weekend morning and get themselves and their children dress and to church. A club of parents who are ready for “battle”, any parent who tells you their child sits quietly through church every time they attend are LYING! Yes some Sunday’s are better than others but we all have had those moments when all we want to do is crawl under the pew, cry and sleep in the following Sunday.

When Charlot was about a year and a half or so we had a particularly bad Sunday at church, I was probably up and out of the sanctuary four or five times, a battle for sure. Shortly after that Sunday our church newsletter came out and in the newsletter was a small little section about children in church. Something about that all members of the church wanted to enjoy the service and if you felt that your child was being distracting there was a cry room and nursery available.  I can’t remember what exactly it said but trust me I was so embarrassed when I read it. Then I became a little hurt and angry, at that point in time Charlot was about the only child attending church. I just kept thinking don’t they see I am trying to do what I believe is right and raise her in a church. That was it, I was doing what the hubs and I thought best, I couldn’t let the opinions of other deter how we were raising our little one.  Sunday after Sunday we would keep bringing her and we would make as many trips as it took to the back of the church. Sunday after Sunday she was there feeling the love of the Lord and that is all that really mattered.

Hearing that sound Sunday after Sunday, tells me that we don’t just give up that parents continue to bring their kids and that gives me hope for all of us. Hope that children are still being raised to have a relationship with Christ, and to know the safe comforting feeling of having a church family. So for me hearing those sounds in church means that the church isn't dying, it will still be here next Sunday, next year and for the next generation of parents in battle.

Since the above story our church has been bless with an amazing new pastor who is so warm and welcoming to young and old alike. And the sound of children can be heard and welcomed each and every Sunday.

I LOVE THE SOUND OF CHILDREN IN CHURCH…



No comments:

Post a Comment