Monday, March 8, 2010

Carrot Cake!!!!!!!!!!!


It is another birthday at my office March is absolutely full of them so I will be baking like a crazy lady! It is now DonDon’s turn to pick out her dessert and carrot cake it is. When she told me this is what she wanted I was so excited. I love carrot cake; I had carrot cake as one of the layers of my wedding cake. Sorry sometimes I can’t help but relate great food to the most important times in my life. Anyway when DonDon asked for carrot cake one of our other co-workers mentioned that he wondered who the first person was to think that carrots would taste great in a cake. I have also wondered this but truly I don’t give it to much thought. I just figure I can eat a bigger piece of cake since it is loaded with the nutrition of carrots; that must be why I have such great eye sight. Plus who could resist cream cheese icing??? This is another one of my mamma’s recipes, I love stealing her recipes they are always so easy and they turn out fabulous Although my mamma said that only one batch of icing was necessary because when she makes layered cakes she only ices in between the layers and on top, not the sides. I feel that is a good waste of cake surface area that could be covered with sweet cream cheesy goodness and I am not one for being wasteful.


Carrot Cake
1 ½ cups Vegetable Oil
2 cups Sugar
4 Eggs
2 cups Flour
2 tsp Baking Powder
2 tsp Baking Soda
2 tsp Cinnamon
½ tsp Salt
3 cups Carrots (grated)
1 cup Pecans (please please please use pecans, walnuts are just not right, why because I said so)

Mix sugar and oil together. Add eggs one at a time. Sift together flour, baking powder, soda, cinnamon and salt. Slowly add to the first mixture. Fold in carrots and nuts. Pour batter into either two 8 inch round pans or a 9x13 cake pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-50 minutes(depending on pan choice).

Cream Cheese Icing (I always double the batch)
1 stick Butter
8oz Powdered Sugar
1 8oz package Cream Cheese
2 tsp Vanilla
½ cup Pecans (Again pecans NO WALNUTS)
Combine all ingredients until smooth and creamy. More powdered sugar may be needed to reach your desired consistency.

No comments:

Post a Comment