Thursday, March 11, 2010

Creamed Peas

Yes that is what I said creamed peas. I absolutely love green veggies, but this hasn’t always been the story. I mean as a child I ate green beans and broccoli but as far as other green vegetables I really wasn’t too open minded. As I have gotten older I don’t know if it is my taste buds maturing or if I just am obsessed with trying new things but each time I go to the grocery store I try to challenge myself to buy a different veggie to use in a different way. So yesterday I was at the grocery store and the challenge was on. It was frozen peas that spoke to me. I remember seeing creamed peas as a child and thinking oh goodness those look so goopy and grose. This was going to be quite a challenge, but I knew these that creamed peas had to be good.


Frozen peas
Butter
Heavy Cream
Whole Garlic Cloves
Freshly Grated Parmesan Cheese
Salt and pepper to taste
Now this recipe is more of a portion thing than actual measurements. I used a half bag of peas. So that is what my portions are based on.

Start out by melting a few tablespoons of butter in a nonstick skillet once melted lower the heat and pour in enough cream to cover the bottom of the skillet and come up a bit on the sides. Now add in a few cloves of garlic. Allow the cream to simmer and reduce in half. Place peas in a strainer and rinse with warm water, pick out any bad peas. Once the cream has reduced stir in the peas. Once the peas and cream have come together and peas have warmed through add the cheese. Prior to serving remove the garlic cloves. Season with salt and pepper.
I hope you enjoy these as much we did, and learn to love the green veggies.

No comments:

Post a Comment