Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Diversity and Delilah…

Every so often the Hubs, Pappy Paul, and Zach Attack, get the itch to get out of the lovely state of MO and go shopping. Their ideal shopping trip isn’t quite the same as mine; they are typically in search of women. Oh yes more piggy women to add to the family. In the past their ventures have taken them east to Indiana, but this time they headed north to Iowa. And I am so excited about the lady they brought back.

To understand the profoundness of this purchase a lesson in breeds of hogs is necessary. Most pure bred hog producers have their favorites/specialty. I have two favorites Spots and Hampshire’s. I have always liked both of these breeds. Now each member of my family has their very own favorite breed.

The Hubs favors the Hampshire breed (side note my hubby is not fond of spots).

While Zach Attack prefers Duroc’s (my least favorite that we raise no offense to red heads)

Pappy Paul is the spot man.

And then Mamma Linda well she just really likes sows who like their heads scratched, but I guess if she had to pick she would choose Yorkshire’s. (I know there are better pictures of yorks out there but I thought this was so funny!)

As you can see we have a many differing opinions, this could be why our farm looks like the coat of many colors.

Any who back to our most recent addition this Delilah, she is a spot. A spot that apparently is good enough to make my non-spot liking hubby appreciate them. When they bought her on Saturday I received a text from him that said “I am now excited about raising spots…hamps are still better though." I don’t really care I just think she is a cutie.

Look at those ears!!! Welcome home Delilah!

There are many more swine breeds out there these just happen to be the ones that we raise, if you want to learn more this is a great site, just click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment